Eight Easy, Microwavable Dorm Room Recipes
For many college students eating well falls far down on their list of priorities in the midst of the stressors of academia and budgetary limitations. Many students have been falsely convinced that their lack of kitchen access means resigning themselves to dining hall meals, which simply isn’t the case. With the right ingredients and minimal effort students are able to create gourmet meals from the convenience of their dorm room microwave.
Here are 10 delicious, creative recipes for any college student on the go:
French Toast in a Mug
- Two slices of bread
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons of milk
- Slice the two slices of bread into cubes
- Pack into oversized mug
- In a separate bowl mix the egg, 3 tablespoons of milk, and cinnamon
- Pour mixture into mug and wait until it’s fully absorbed by the bread
- Microwave for one minute, adding intervals of 10 seconds until it is to your liking
- 3 tablespoons and 1 teaspoon of all purpose flour
- ½ of a smashed banana
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon of milk (regular, lowfat, almond, soy- dealer’s choice)
- 1 packet of Splenda (really any sugar packet)
- 2 tablespoons of brown sugar
- ⅛ tablespoon of making powder
- ⅛ tablespoon of baking soda
- ¼ tablespoon of vanilla extract
- In an oversized mug apply non-stick spray or rub butter throughout the interior.
- Put the flour, salt, sugar, baking powder, and baking soda, and the egg in the mug and mix until blended
- Microwave for 2 ½-3 minutes
Enjoy this quick breakfast with a cup of coffee before running out the door to lecture!
- ¾ cup of water
- 1 tablespoon of chopped white onion
- 3 tablespoons of cut cubed potatoes
- 2 tablespoons chedder cheese
- 1 tablespoon of bacon bits
- 2 tablespoons of cornflour
- ½ cup of chicken or vegetable stock
- ¼ cup of milk
- Salt and pepper
- Optional: sour cream (as a topper)
- Place potatoes and water into a mug or small bowl and microwave for 3-4 minutes
- Once the potatoes are cooked drain the water add the bacon bits, cheese, cornflour, onions and mix them together
- Add the stock, milk, some salt and pepper and stir the mixture together
- Microwave for 2 1/2 -3 minutes adding 10 second intervals until it is heated all the way through
- Optional: Garnish with sour cream and more bacon bits
Mac and Cheese
- ½ macaroni noodles
- ½ cup of water
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- ¼ milk of your preference (regular, low fat, almond, soy)
- ¼ cheddar or monterey jack cheese
- Add ons: basil, steamed vegetables (can also microwave), bacon bits
- Put the water and pasta in a bowl and microwave for 2 minutes and stir. Then continue microwaving the pasta by 2 minute intervals until the pasta is fully cooked. This process varies from 4-8 minutes.
- Stir the milk and cheese into the pasta and microwave in 30 second intervals until the cheese has melted
- Add any extras such as steamed vegetables or bacon bits as a garnish
Meatloaf in a Mug!
- ¼ pound ground beef
- 1 teaspoon onion soup mix
- 2 tablespoons of quick-cooking oats
- 2 tablespoons of milk
- 1 tablespoon of ketchup
- In a bowl mix together the milk, ketchup, oats, & soup mix. Then add and mix in the beef.
- In a mug or small bowl coat with butter or nonstick spray.
- Add in mixture place cover and cook in microwave for 3 minutes/ continue in 30 second intervals until the meat is no longer pink. When the thermometer reads 160 degrees then drain.
- Let the meatloaf mug cool for 3 minutes. Then garnish with additional ketchup.
Butternut Squash and Sage Risotto
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- ½ finely chopped onion
- 2 finely chopped garlic cloves
- 1 cup Arborio rice
- 2 cups of vegetable broth
- ½ cup of white wine
- Butternut squash
- Sage leaves
- Add ½ a tablespoon of butter and a spoonful of onions in a bowl and microwave for 30 seconds
- Add ¼ cup of rice, ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons of broth, and a pinch of garlic. Cover and heat for 2 minutes. Add additional broth if necessary and heat for another 2 minutes
- Add ½ cup cup of wine and the squash. Put a cover over it and proceed to heat for 2 minutes
- For the final step add chopped sage leaves and heat for 1 minute then add parmesan
Dulce de Leche mug cake
- 3 tablespoons coconut flour
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 4 tablespoons of coconut milk
- ¼ smashed ripe banana
- 1 tablespoon de dulce de leche
- ½ tablespoon vanilla extract
- In a small bowl add all the ingredients together and mix until thoroughly blended
- Pour mixture into an oversized mug or two small mugs (if you wish to share)
- Microwave for 2-3 minutes then garnish with additional dulce de leche
Oatmeal Nutella mug cake
- 3 tablespoons of milk
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons rolled oats
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped pecans, plus more to garnish
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Optional: 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon Nutella, or any chocolate-hazelnut spread, plus more to garnish
- In a large mug mix together the sugar, olive oil, and milk. Then mix in the flour until it has smooth consistency.
- Then mix in the pecans, baking powder, cinnamon, oats.
- Drop Nutella in the center on top and gently push so the half of it lies under the cake batter
- Microwave for 30 seconds then for 15 second intervals until the top looks dry and cooked.